Does your senior leadership team struggle with setting clear priorities, establishing trust, and communication breakdowns? You’re not alone. 5.12 Solutions developed a multifaceted, measurable approach to reignite cohesion within executive teams. This proven program is customized to your specific business goals and challenges. With a longer-term approach, lasting behavior changes emerge over time and lead the way for the entire organization.
Effective leadership teams are a product of a shared vision, a strong foundation of trust, and transparent communication. But what often happens is that leaders get so busy spending time IN the business, focusing on the urgent day-to-day issues, instead of ON the business, focusing on creating alignment, building collaboration, and a nurturing a healthy culture. Instead of being able to rapidly respond to new opportunities, unnecessary conflict, stress, and ambiguity of roles emerge.
If you are like many other senior leadership teams, you probably have good people and good products and services but know you are not performing at your highest potential. In fact, you are probably trying to navigate the following challenges that the Executive Team Development Program is designed to address head on:
The three challenges limiting senior leadership team effectiveness:
- Everything is a priority, prohibiting the team and organization to focus. Priorities between the organization, departments, and teams aren’t aligned, resulting in unclear performance expectations for teams and individuals and ambiguity of roles and responsibilities. This often leads to…
- Communication breakdowns that perpetuate barriers between individuals and eventually departments. These barriers limit team member effectiveness and often encourage individuals, teams, and departments to hoard resources and drop hand-offs instead of being focused on organizational level objectives. This often leads to…
- Team members who don’t fully trust each other. Low levels of trust result in low levels of collaboration, where people engage in “the blame game” and decisions tend to get revisited over and over again.
What teams really want:
You came to the organization for the opportunity – both to work at a high level and to serve interesting clients. Ultimately what you want is to be successful as an individual, as a team, and as a company. In other words you want:
- Alignment around clear objectives. You know that a clear strategic direction is the foundation for everything else. From there, you can coach your direct reports to steer team and individual performance. But, you want to ensure the strategic objectives are clear first. This results in clarity and accountability.
- Collaboration around clear objectives. You recognize that it isn’t good enough to just get people working on the right things. You know that efficiency comes when people work on the right things together. In other words, you really want to create a team culture founded on trust and respect. This results in teamwork and efficiency.
- Motivation around clear objectives. As a senior leader you know that your team members bring different strengths and limitations to the table. You also know that creativity comes from individuals, but innovation comes from teams. And that only happens when all team members know how to leverage each others’ differences. This results in commitment and engagement.
These objectives are not only obtainable but can be achieved in a very short period of time with a structured approach that provides support along the way.
The solution? The Executive Team Development Program. This unique program accelerates team development, resulting in focus, faster decisions, team member trust and commitment, and the ability to capitalize on new opportunities. Ultimately, this is about creating a sustainable competitive edge.
The Executive Team Development Program cuts out the fluff and meaningless games contained in many team building programs and focuses on the important things that makes teams great. Other benefits include:
- Enabling the leader of the team to focus on more strategic objectives as team members work more effectively together and manage their own teams more effectively.
- Creating a team culture that enables team members to understand each others’ differences and tap into each others’ strengths.
- Helping new executive and functional teams form more quickly.
- Blending new and existing team members faster, improving problem solving and decision making capabilities
- Turning destructive conflict into constructive debate, building commitment to decisions
- Clarifying roles and responsibilities, enabling the team to shift resources and people where they are most needed
- Aligning personal aspirations with organizational goals to break down the silos that often creep up unexpectedly
- Developing a team communication strategy to utilize team time more effectively
- Implementing an approach to cascade the appropriate information out to the organization in a timely manner
What you and your team receive with The Executive Team Development Program
The Executive Team Development Program is our highest end program offered for intact senior leadership teams (and/or the teams those senior leaders manage).
Prior to the program we clearly identify measures of success. We work with clients to identify key metrics that will help measure the program’s success.
The program begins with a 2-3 day team offsite. Prior to the offsite team members will complete field work which includes professional reading and personality style profiling. The first part of the offsite focuses on understanding the strengths and limitations of the team, creating a vision for the ideal team, and then building trust and overcoming the fear of conflict. The second part of the initial offsite establishes clarity around roles and responsibilities, team goals, and norms. Light-hearted time at night is used to get to know each other at a personal level.
Structured and time sensitive follow-up creates accountability and ensures the team progresses toward its desired state.
- Follow-up workshops are conducted at 1 month, 4 months, and 9 months after the initial offsite. They range from 2 hours to 1 day in duration, depending on the team’s progress.
- 2-3 targeted coaching sessions occur between workshops to help individuals learn more about themselves and learn how they can be more effective with other team members.
- Short, targeted group webinars are slotted between workshops and coaching sessions focused on reviewing and modifying team norms and agreements.
- Individual reflection field work.
- Team projects designed to add value to the team and organization (optional depending on the team).
In addition, we offer the following bonuses to help team members build point skills:
- Access to 5.12 Solutions library of live recorded audio programs on various personal and professional topics
- Online learning courses
- Management action planning map used to help leaders modify how they develop, direct, delegate, and motivate the people they lead
Is the Executive Team Development Program a good fit for you and your team?
The Executive Team Development Program has been run with medium-sized companies from a variety of industries including technology, manufacturing, healthcare, products, and federal government agencies. It is highly effective for senior leadership teams, and in most cases, those leaders end up rolling it out to the functional teams they lead to create the same common foundation and language on their teams.
The Executive Team Development Program can also be tailored to address specific organizational challenges, such as:
- New executive teams that are forming due to a merger or acquisition
- Teams that are getting prepared for a major change or transition
- Start-up companies that have funding and are looking to accelerate the team’s ability to get their product and/or service to market
- Sales teams that are looking to collaboratively drive revenues
- Middle management teams that are looking to dramatically improve product quality, delivery times, and service
If you have made it this far, you might be interested in taking the next step.
If so, I invite you to connect with me to schedule a complimentary Team Development Insight Session where we’ll explore your business challenges, current team dynamics, results you’d like to achieve on your team, and determine if The Executive Team Development Program is a fit for you.
The conversation will take about 30 minutes and can be done in person or by phone. Simply complete the form below to schedule your session.