Engage and Cultivate
People-First Leadership Factor 4 is about building employee commitment by engaging team members at an individual level and cultivating them as people and employees. As a leader, you have the greatest impact on team member commitment and engagement. And in most cases, as Stephanie, the senior leader in the book Ignite! told her junior leaders, people leave their managers, not their organizations.
People-First Leaders™ build commitment by engaging and cultivating their people in the following ways:
- recognizing and rewarding their people;
- creating a motivating environment for each team member;
- seeking and valuing team member contributions;
- delegating effectively;
- orienting new team members;
- encouraging learning and development.
Here are some tools to help you engage and cultivate your people.
Tools and Templates
- Ask these questions to understand what motivates your team members.
- Use the building blocks of recognition.
- Learn how to provide recognition for significant achievements.
- 4 steps in the delegation conversation – utilizing the right delegation style.
- View a sample Everything DiSC Management report.