Here's one thing every leader must know. People want to know that their contributions matter.
But recognition efforts often fail when the following happens:
- The same people get recognized all the time.
- Team members don't feel they have the opportunity to be recognized.
- Leaders believe that people should NOT be recognized for "just" doing their jobs.
- Recognition efforts are primarily delivered during the monthly All-staff meeting.
- All efforts are rewarded the same way.
If you see signs of these symptoms in your organization, it's more likely that your recognition efforts are creating resentment and jealousy instead of team member commitment.